Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Week 2

Hi there, readers!

It's the end of my first week back on Weight Watchers. WW claims that the program is a lifestyle change, but I think of it more as an adjustment. We realized that it really just involves more grocery shopping and cooking, less eating out, attention to portion control, and a small amount of discipline. It's been a wonderful lifestyle adjustment so far, and it has brought the bf and I even closer because we're doing it together. We have always loved to cook together, so it's been a blast trying out new recipes. It wasn't that difficult to stay on the program this week, except when we went to a party on Saturday and it was SO hard to resist the Pizza Hut! It's my favorite!! I did it, though, so go me! Anyway, here are the details that I aim to update on a weekly basis, no matter the results.

Weight loss: 5.3 pounds!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pounds remaining to reach goal weight:34.5
Overall mood this week: hopeful, happy, and feeling good! I am so excited about the weight loss, but since I've done this before, I know that the big loss is due to basically the shock my body had this week by being healthy haha. I'm a little annoyed about my goal weight assigned by Weight Watchers. You see, if you don't know me I have a muscular build and as we all know, muscle weighs more than fat. Needless to say, when I was at my thinnest weight in college, multiple people said I looked 20 pounds less than I actually was. I'm keeping that in mind because the "healthy weight range" for my age and height worries me. I am not sure that if I reach this goal that I will be able to maintain it. But we shall see. Also, I know that the first three weeks are typically bigger loss weeks followed by losing 1-2 pounds per week on the program. This is healthy, so I know this is a good thing especially because it's healthy weight loss that will be easier to maintain. Of course I'm also keeping in mind that I may gain every once in a while and/or hit a plateau where nothing is happening.
Worked out: once...I need to be better about this!
Yummy finds: I have two amazing blogs and the Weight Watchers site to thank for the delicious recipes! The bf and I were able to find our favorite dishes with healthier options, so we're hoping this will help us to stray less and cook more.
  1. Gina's Skinny Recipes is an incredible blog. We tried her Chicken Pot Pie Soup and my favorite Cuban dish Chicken Ropa Vieja this week. They were insanely delicious and we made enough for leftovers. Talk about getting the most out of our money! We also took her word for it: Ronzoni wheat pasta truly is better than your average wheat pasta :)
  2. We also tried the Weight Watchers recipe for Turkey Meatloaf. WOW was it full of flavor! The ingredients include ground turkey and bbq sauce, among others - for only 4 points per serving! If you are interested in the recipe let me know and I can email it to you. I think it might only be available to online members. This was fun to make, especially because it was categorized as "Man Food" on the WW Men's site. Very clever!
  3. Thanks to the blog LaaLoosh I went to Trader Joe's tonight to pick up a beef, cheese, and bean dip - at only ONE point per serving - to satisfy my Mexican food cravings (which are typically nightly haha!). I can't WAIT to try it! I laughed at myself because this low-fat dish is surrounded by really fatty foods and was why, I predicted, that the product was still on the shelves...so I bought two in case the word gets out about this dip and people go crazy buying it! I know that's silly, but I had to do it.
  4. Since I was already at Trader Joe's, I figured I should browse, right? Well, I'm SO glad I did, because I came across DELICIOUS peanut butter at only 2 points per serving! It's called Better 'N Peanut Butter, and while the consistency is runnier than typical peanut butter, it tastes just as good! I cut the serving size in half, added a tablespoon of grape jelly, and put it on a slice of Pepperidge Farm Light Style wheat bread for a healthy and satisfying 3 point snack. However, a tablespoon of jelly is waaaaay too big for one slice of bread...and of course some of it missed my mouth and landed on the couch.

So that's it for Week 1. Hopefully we can keep this up, but so far so good! We need to take our measurements and should have done it last week. Anyway, maybe soon I'll document how many inches I lose, too!

4 comments:

Christina said...

congrats on the weight loss! that is awesome!

Anonymous said...

go you! I am so mad, I've been keeping to a very strict diet and I went to the gym four times this week and gained 1.5 pounds!

Mary said...

Thanks Christina!

Tricia, I'm sorry about the gain, but how do you feel? Four workouts must make you feel great! Good for you! That shows a lot of determination and you should be proud! You probably just gained 1.5 in muscle :)

callie ;) said...

i love that my friends are commenting on your blog. :)

p.s. congrats on the initial weight loss - way to go, mk!