Thursday, February 10, 2011

Week 6

Good day, Readers! I hope you are all doing well! This week continues the roller coaster that is life, but hey - at least it's a fun ride! Weekly updates below :)

P.S. This should read that I'm posting it on Feb. 17.

First of all, if you saw my last post (2/16) you clearly have seen my new obsession: polyvore.com. I saw this site on my friend's blog Running in Stilettos and then again on a new blog I'm following called Kendi Everyday. I entered a contest on Kendi Everyday for a $25 coupon to my new second obsession: Shop Ruche. Hopefully what I put together on Polyvore will help me win!!!

Now on to the food!

Thursday night we wanted to use up the broccoli in the fridge and made Gina's Broccoli Cheese and Potato Soup. Holy cow. Gina. I want to meet her some day and shake her hand. Make this soup tonight...or the Chicken Pot Pie Soup. Both are winners. Look at this masterpiece:
Weight loss:
3.8 pounds!!

Total weight loss:
12.1 pounds!!!!!!!

I've hit my 5% target! This means that I've lost 5% of my body weight. It doesn't sound like much, but it is! And it helps me past that plateau I hit last week which bummed me out a little. If you're curious, here's what Weight Watchers says about the 5% milestone:

"Losing just 5 percent of your body weight doesn't sound like much, but it could mean you're well on your way to dropping a dress size. Aside from looking better and feeling more energetic, there are significant health benefits, too...Breaking your weight loss journey into small steps of 5 percent-10 percent will help to keep you motivated. For most people 5 percent is enough to reduce the risk of developing type 2 diabetes. Your weight-loss success may also mean that you help to lower your blood pressure. There are many other health benefits, too – research has shown that a loss of 5 percent–10 percent of your starting body weight can make a real difference.
  • Health benefits
  • Lowers your body’s cholesterol levels
  • Can improve blood sugar control
  • Reduces aches and pains
  • Improves mobility
  • Can improve your breathing
  • Helps you to sleep better
  • Reduces the risk of sleep apnea
  • Helps prevent angina – chest pain caused by decreased oxygen to the heart.
  • Decreased your risk of sudden death from heart disease or stroke
  • May stop the need from regular medication
  • Reduces the risk of certain cancers
  • Your emotional health will also benefit hugely. People who have lost 5 percent-10 percent of their body weight report improvements in quality of life, a noticeable reduction in depression symptoms, increased energy, plus a more positive attitude to life."
Pounds remaining to reach goal weight:
27.7 pounds

Overall mood this week:
Hard to say. I'm a happy person, and of course I'm ECSTATIC about my weight loss, but I sure do wish I had an internship to balance school right now...or at least SOME idea of where we're going to live and work after graduation in May. It's causing a lot of anxiety, but at the same time the open possibilities are so exciting that it makes me happy. It's a complete double-edged sword, but I'm eager for my budding career to bloom. Maybe I find comfort in discomfort.

Worked out:
Four times again, even on Valentine's Day! Go me!

Yummy finds:

Saturday afternoon I munched on a new dip for a quick snack and can I just say yum!!! We got this dip at Harris Teeter, called H.T. Trader's Fat Free Black Bean Dip. I LOVE Mexican food and flavors and after the bf's roommate said he was getting Chipotle, I obviously craved a carnitas burrito bowl (excuse me while I salivate...). Instead, I had this delightful 1 point dip with some Trader Joe's Organic White Corn Tortilla Chips and an apple for an incredible mid-day, 4-point basketball-watching snack. Go me! P.S. I saw on LaaLoosh that Trader Joe's has a new tortilla chip out - have any of you tried it yet?

On a funny note, the bf's Dad sent him these slippers for Valentine's Day...they're the Killer Rabbit from Monty Python and the Holy Grail! So awesome!! And warm! Nothing says love like a killer rabbit on your feet :)




How did you celebrate Valentine's Day? We were looking forward to a low-key evening of staying in on a Monday night, exchanging silly gifts, and watching TV. We decided to save allowance points for the big day and planned our week accordingly. Last year we splurged on an expensive meal. While it was romantic and fun, it was too expensive for one night, so we opted for ordering a Papa John's heart-shaped pizza! We had everything planned: after class/work, he'd drop me off so I could throw on my killer red dress, wrap his silly gift, and then head over to his place (two blocks away) for our date. We ordered the pizza on Saturday so that it would arrive at 8pm on Monday night. This picture is from the Papa John's advertisement, so clearly this is what we were expecting:
Instead, at 8:45, we received this piece of junk:
To say we were disappointed would be an understatement. We saved our points for pizza. We bought nice beer (and saved the points for said beer) to accompany our pizza. We ordered days in advance. I imagined a funny Facebook profile picture. I even wore a damn red dress on a Monday night. And THIS is what arrived at our door. Yeah. Hrmph!

I quickly shook it off, though, because come on - it's a funny story. Sure we were hungry and the pizza tasted like sawdust. Sure it was late and we didn't get what we wanted. But we got our redemption. The bf used the power of social media and with his friend they hit Papa John's on all available fronts. It was hilarious and empowering. While we're still waiting for an apology response (and maybe free pizza for life?), we will never forget our failed pizza Valentine's Day.

No comments: